11 ways to start loving yourself the way you deserve to be loved
1.Know yourself. It’s impossible to love yourself if you don’t even know who you are. Invest in discovering what you believe, value, and like. Wonderful way to get to know the hidden messages of your energy body is astrology, meditation and breath work sessions.
2. Know and use your strengths.We all have tremendous gifts, but many of them go unnoticed. When you’re busy and distracted it’s hard to access these great qualities. Focusing on your strengths will increase your positive feelings for yourself.
3. Give yourself plenty of healthy treats. A treat is something special that you just give yourself. Unlike a reward, it doesn’t have to be earned. Be good to yourself by giving yourself treats “just because”.
4. Work on forgiving yourself for the bigger stuff. Sometimes we’re holding onto bigger regrets or transgressions. Self-forgiveness is a process of bit by bit believing you truly did the best you could. Today you could do better, of course. Hindsight really is 20/20, which is why it’s completely unfair to judge your past self with the knowledge you have now. Remember: “When we know better we do better.”
5. Ask for help when you need it. Another part of taking care of yourself is recognizing when you need help. Help isn’t weak. It’s human. We all need help at times.
6. Surround yourself with people who treat you with kindness and respect. Who you spend time with reflects how you feel about yourself. People who feel worthy surround themselves with positive people. Sometimes loving yourself means you have to end relationships with abusive or unkind people.
7. Surprise Yourself. Try things out of your control, try doing things upside down. This will also help you with getting to know yourself. You may find out that you enjoy things you never realised or tried before. Try and get out of your comfort zone and see what happens Explore your light and shadow.
8. Pursue New Interests. It’s great to try something new that you have wanted to try for a while, or have been too scared to do.
You never know what you might enjoy until you try it, so think of a new hobby you could try, or go to a place you’ve wanted to go to for a while.
9. Work On Your Self-Trust. A great way to show yourself self-love is to trust yourself and your own instincts. You are most likely going to know what is best for you, and self-trust is a step to self-love.
You need to trust yourself before you can trust others, so listen to your gut and trust how you feel.
10. Check in with Yourself Emotionally
Find a chair, grab a coffee and ask what is going on with you today. How are you feeling? Feel that feeling.
Learning to actually feel your feelings instead of brushing them under the rug is the best way forward.
11. Face Your Negative Thoughts
Ask them: Are they true? Are they helpful? Are they kind? Before you say anything negative, ask yourself, does this thought benefit me in any way? Does this thought make me better in some way? Or is it just rude, belittling and cruel.
We are often most abusive towards ourselves mentally, which means one of the most important keys to happiness is to stop with the internal torture. The endless insults, belittling, the “you’re so this and you’re such a that”. Only use supportive and positive language in your head.